Born in the Scottish Borders in 1895, Anne Redpath was a pivotal member of the Edinburgh School. She studied at the Edinburgh College of Art, where she received her diploma in 1917. Redpath and her husband then moved to the South of France, where they lived until 1934. Upon returning to Scotland, she took up painting again as a full time career. Her early works comprised intimate domestic scenes, interiors, Border landscapes, and still lifes, while later in life she captured scenes from her travels around Europe, the Mediterranean, and the Canary Islands in an adventurous painting style that borders on the abstract. Redpath experimented with textures and contrasting cool and warm tones throughout her career. She also had an eye for structure, and used paint to build her compositions like an architect constructing a building.
Redpath's works was regularly exhibited at the Royal Glasgow Institute, the Society of Scottish Artists, the Royal Scottish Academy, and the Royal Academy of Arts. She was the first woman to be elected as a full member of the Royal Scottish Academy in 1952. She was awarded an OBE in 1955, and was made an Associate of the Royal Academy in 1960.